Wednesday, September 24, 2014
Friday, September 12, 2014
Last year for my 25th birthday, I made a list of goals I wanted to accomplish within the year. I had a wonderful year and loved having these goals to keep me occupied and to challenge myself. Although not every goal was accomplished, I learned so much about myself in the days I spent exercising, exploring San Diego, and trying to fulfill myself in both mental and spiritual ways. So, let's check in and see how I did... I'm pretty darn proud of myself! Oh, and cheers to 26! Let's see what this year has in store for me!
- send a hand written note to someone once a week
- I actually did pretty good with this task! Not all of them were handwritten, but I tried to text, call, FB message, e-mail, someone every week with just a fun memory I had about them, or just to see how they were doing. It was really fun, and I hope to continue with this!
- participate & journal a 3-5 day juice fast/cleanse
- So, this did not happen. I am planning to do a cleanse in December of this year though after the holidays.
- take an overnight trip somewhere in Southern California
- Does Carlsbad (ahem-- my parents house) count? We could NOT justify spending money on a hotel to get away when our own bed is right here in the city near everything. We did discover a lot of San Diego this past year, and you can see some of our favorite places on this list.
- read the Book of Mormon 3 times
- I'm really sad about this one, but I only read it once. I need to be better about reading my scriptures on a more regular basis. I am going to start a new rule-- I cannot read my book until I read my scriptures! We will see how this goes and if I am a more dedicated personal scripture reader.
- eat & journal a list of favorite local San Diego restaurants
- Yes. Yep. Done & done. I could eat my way through this city! Here is our growing list of favorite San Diego restaurants.
- host a dinner party once a month
- This is another success! Whether it was with friends, family, parties, or as simple as hosting the missionaries, I was able to accomplish this goal. But, really? I can think of ANY and EVERY excuse in the book to host a party!
- complete & journal 5 exercise "challenges"
- This was one of my favorite goals to accomplish! I participated in two Jillian Michael's exercise programs (30 Day Shred & Cardio Crush). I started stretching again every night, and have noticed some flexibility come back from my years of dancing. I also did home yoga for a couple of weeks and really loved that. I still do some of the moves in my nightly stretches. And, my most accomplished was running and finishing my first 10K in July!
- practice new photography/Photoshop techniques
- I don't know if I really improved, but I can see a difference in my photos from the past year. I'm gonna chalk this one up as a success!
- bake a pie from scratch
- I am hoping to accomplish this goal sometime this Fall. I am dying to bake a pie, but this summer has been too hot for the oven, and I just lost track of time!
- attend the temple once a month
- We were pretty good with this one as well. It might not have been every month, but it was every 4-6 weeks or so we got a temple date in.
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
Last Fall, after living here in San Diego a couple months, my friend Lela introduced me to her family favorite coconut granola. Ever since my first taste, I have been making up a batch every two weeks or so for Derek and I to crunch on. I like to use Lela’s recipe as a base, and then add as much or as little extras to my batch. A couple Christmases ago, I made a yummy cinnamon cranberry granola for gifts, and it was a major hit. Using that as inspiration as well, this recipe for coconut almond granola came to be. This recipe is not exact, as I very rarely measure, but the mixture of sweet coconut and spicy cinnamon and nutmeg give this granola such a wonderful flavor. The added crunch of almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and caramelized cranberry turns this into a breakfast staple. Paired with Greek yogurt, berries, and a drizzle of honey, this delicious granola parfait has become a go-to in our house. So, turn those ovens back on (it’s September after all!) and pull out the spices that remind you of all things wonderful and get baking!